Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

July Mail Art Project

I had this grand idea of creating something patriotic for the July project. I envisioned am American Flag and perhaps even an eagle. Each month as we receive our projects, we would email the group to show them off. Well, I received an email and the beautiful project being shared was strikingly similar to the one I had planned. I didn't want to send a project that was too similar...even though just the basic idea was the same...so I thought and thought. Then, I decided to pay a little homage to my home state of Texas. Anyone who knows me knows that even though I left the great state at the of 19, and I am much older than that now ;), I still consider myself a Texan. Yes, I realize that everyone except fellow Texans think that is irrational, but that is besides the point. Anyway, on to the Mail Art...















As I did with all of the other folders, I began by covering the entire piece with Gesso by DecoArt and allowing it to completely dry.  Then I pained the front of the folder with red, white and blue acrylic paint.  I printed out the sheet music I found online and adhered it with Mod Podge.  The little Texas stamp in the lower right corner was something I purchased over 2 years ago at a stamp show in Grapevine, TX.  I was soooooo excited to have found it and still had not used it.  So after stamping the image, I colored it with my Copics then fussy cut around the image and adhered it.  Do you see the little bluebonnets?  Those are the Texas State flower.  They were created with Flower Soft and wire, a technique I learned at the stamp show when I purchased the stamps.  The wagon wheel, boots and hat were cut with my Making Memories Slice machine...that 'ole thing is still kickin' and is one of my favorite tools to use still.  Then I wrapped some twine into a lasso and looped it around the boots and added a twine bow to the Bluebonnets.  I just painted the inside top of the folder white then stamped it with the barbed wire stamp (all the folders are sealed shut on the sides to create a pocket so we only needed to finish off the top visible section).  Here's a peek at the back...















For the back, I used my DecoArt acrylic paints and simply painted the Lone Star Flag.  I used my Spellbinders Stars Nestabilities to cut the star.  I thought it would be fun to cut out our current states for the address labels.  Please excuse the black spots, I snapped this pic after I had them addressed.

I absolutely LOVE the way this folder turned out.  Even though it was extremely simple, it was one of my favorites that I made...was difficult to let go of.  Come by on Friday to see the final Mail Art project...it is NOT a folder!!!  ;)

Katie

No comments: