Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A yummy oops!

The other night I was thinking how yummy chocolate cake sounded. Like I mentioned before, I love cooking/baking and when I'm not scrappin' I'm probably doing the other. hehehe Anyway, I googled chocolate cake recipe and found this...

Ingredients:
1 cup cocoa; sifted
3/4 cup coffee; boiling
1 cup milk; room temperature
2 3/4 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
12 ounces butter; room temperature
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 large eggs
***Frosting***
12 tablespoons butter; room temperature
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare 2 8 inch deep cake pans. Butter cake pans and add dust pans with 1/8 cup cocoa powder , instead of flour. Mix cocoa, boiling coffee and milk together. Cool to warm temperature. Sift together all dry ingredients. Cream butter and sugar by hand. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Add flour in batch additions, mixing until smooth.

Divide batter between pans and bake for 20 minutes. Rotate pans in oven and continue baking for 15 minutes. Test as usual. Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack. Frosting: Mix butter, confectioners sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla. Proceed as usual.

Martha Stewart


This recipe from CDKitchen for Ultimate Chocolate Cake serves/makes 8


If you are not fond of coffee, please do not be deterred by that as an ingredient! You cannot taste it in the final cake. As is happened, I still had coffee in my pot from that morning and I simply added it to a saucepan to boil it. Worked out great.

Now, you notice my title says "oops"? I made a few mistakes along the way with this cake. It started when I was shaking up my cocoa to break up the clumps. The lid came off and cocoa went everywhere. Then, when I was sifting together all the dry ingredients I included the sugar. That is a no-no. The sugar is to be creamed with the butter. Thankfully, I was able to pull most of it out and it did not ruin the cake. Then, I messed up the frosting. Didn't even know how until I re-read the recipe when typing this post. I accidentally omitted the butter. My frosting, as you will see below, was more of a drizzle. However, it also did not ruin the cake.

The reviews do not do this cake justice. Yes, it is dense but not dry at all. My family really enjoyed it. Let me know if you try it and what you think of it. Or, even better, if you have a cake recipe you'd like to share with me! My Seth loves Carrot Cake and that's one I've yet to try. *wink*

Thanks for joining me today! I'll be back tomorrow with another project! See you then!

Katie

1 comment:

Shar said...

Sometimes the oops-es are the yummiest!! LOL! {glad to know I'm not alone in the oops department!}

Shar