Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Home again...

Hi all and happy Wednesday! For those of you who didn't know, I attended the Heirloom stamp show in Anderson, SC last weekend. Since I started working for Scrap-Mart editing the blog and coordinating the design team I have really enjoyed getting out and meeting those peeps who follow us online. It is so fun to hear someone say, "Oh, I read your blog every day!" or "OMG, I shop with you guys online all the time!" Both to which I respond, "Thank you!" My trip to SC was full of excitement...except the one + hour flight delay on the way home. Oh, and the soaked pants on the plane on the way there. Mother nature brought the Mid-West some much needed rain. However, it was a nice show and I met lots of people.

Today I thought I'd share how I make the korker bows like the one shown here (this is for you, Jennie ;)

I used 1/4" grossgrain ribbon I bought at Hobby Lobby. I found some pre-cut wooden dowel rods on clearance at Wal-Mart in the baking section (the ones used to stack cakes) but you could buy a small dowel rod and cut it down too. I wrapped 5 of the rods from top to bottom with the ribbon in a slight spiral dirction and held the ribbon in place with wooden clothes pins. Then, I put them in my oven and baked them for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Keep a close eye on them and you can leave them longer if they aren't set the way you like. I repeated with the next color and after they cooled down, I cut the strips into 2-3 inch pieces, stacked them in a pile over a piece of string then tied them up tightly. This korker was stacked on top of another bow but you could easily use them by themselves. Korkers look adorable in pigtails!!! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. Also, if you are in the market for some bows, check out Carries Custom Crafts on Facebook or visit her Etsy store www.carriescustomcrafts.etsy.com. I make most of my own bows but Carrie does a fantastic job and Shelby has a few Carrie has made. You won't be disappointed!!

Thanks for joining me today! I'll be back tomorrow with a fun back to school layout I created. Hope you can stop by!

Katie

1 comment:

Jennie Skaggs said...

Hi Katie...Absolutely love it. COngrats on the job. :)