Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

DIY 4th of July Home Decor, Part I

If you are anything like me, you can't resist glitter. And any opportunity you have to use it, you do. I decided it was time to get my entryway decorated for 4th of July! And what better way to do that than to create it myself?! Here's what I did...


I grabbed my candles and star candle holders (from Ikea), Scor-Tape and American Crafts Zing embossing powders and set to work. The first, and probably most obvious thing to do is to cover your candles with the adhesive.



That is honestly, the trickiest part of this project. Once you have the candles covered in adhesive, you simply remove the coating and add glitter. After you have them covered, lightly press the glitter onto the adhesive to help it grab then clean up any extra glitter that was left behind when you tapped it off. A small paintbrush would be helpful to remove excess glitter from the candle when you are done. *Now I did use American Crafts Zing Glitter Embossing Powder, but since I was putting it on a candle (wax!) I chose to NOT heat set it. ;) I used a clear spray finish on mine to keep the glitter from rubbing off.

And here's what they looked like when they were done...



How bout that? Grand Old Flag Glitter Candles! LOVE! I finished them off with some We R Memory Keepers twine and a star charm from Teresa Collins.

Now, this post is Part I so that means there is more to come...stay tuned!

Photobucket

No comments: