Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

JustRite Challenge #069: Spring Fling

Hello friends! I am back this week with a project I created for the current JustRite challenge, Spring Fling. The challenge is very simple...create anything that has a butterfly on it and uses spring colors, and of course, some JustRite stamps.

This one struck me and I had tons of ideas for what I wanted to create. The first JustRite stamp that came to my mind is the Chevron Background. I LOVE that stamp. It just makes me happy. ;) So, I knew that whatever I was going to create would use that stamp.

The first thing I did when I went to my scraproom this morning was clean up. I had some boxes on my die cutting table and some other things I needed to put back in their respective places. When I emptied the box on my table, I found the last two releases from Lifestyle Crafts and this cute little Pop-Up Box with none other than a butterfly closure. Cha-ching!

So I set to work and here's what I came up with...

After die cutting the box out, I added a mask to the top before stamping the background. The reason for this is that I wanted the top of the box to remain white and since it has four flaps that fold in the pattern would've crossed on the top and I didn't think it would look as good. Here's what it looked like after I applied the mask...

As you can see, the mask stops just barely above the fold line so that when I stamp it will cover the entire side of the box. The stamp is wide enough that I was able to stamp two sides at once. Then I simply re-inked and stamped the other two sides. Since the die used for the closure is a pop-up die, it doesn't cut out the entire shape. I wanted the butterfly to be pink, not white, so I cut a second top for the one side of the box and added the butterfly to it. Then I trimmed it so you wouldn't see any excess pink before adhering it.

Next I set to work to embellish the front. Nothing says spring to me like flowers! So, I pulled out my new Spellbinders Bitty Blossom dies and some spring colored cardstock and went to work. After cutting and rolling the flowers I decided it needed some greenery as well. The Bitty Blossoms dies come with some leaves, but I wanted a bit more so I pulled out my Foliage set and cut, embossed and stenciled my leaves. For my sentiment, I stamped the 'just because' from the Just Because mini sentiments set the cut it out with a pennant from the Lacey Pennants die set. After embossing and stenciling, I used my McGill flower shaping tools to gently "bend" the die cut to give it more detail. I dug through my stash, and to my surprise, found some plastic butterfly beads. After arranging and adhering my elements, I added a few of the butterfly beads to finish it off. Here's a closer view of the embellished box front...

This simple little box would be great filled with little candies and given to your child's teacher as a little thank you. It could easily be adapted for any theme!

Hop on over to the JustRite blog to see what the other challenge participants have created. Maybe you'll even be inspired to join in the fun!


Photobucket

5 comments:

Mary-Ann Maldonado said...

Cute! Very springy:o) I am ready for that!

Beate said...

Katie, your box looks amazing! Love the striped background and your gorgeous flowers.
Hugs and smiles

Margie Higuchi said...

See what happens when you clean?! LOL!! It was a sign to create. How funny! BEAUTIFUL project, my friend. I so want to do this put got several deadlines this week - it's all good, they're all creative projects :)

Sheri said...

This is SO COOL! Love all the splash of color and that chevron looks great on your box! Thanks for joining us at JustRite Inspiration ;-)

Marge said...

Simply breathtaking, Katie!!! LOVE it!!!